Saturday, August 30, 2008

mongolia liked my shoes


oh mongolia.... your clean, wonderful air.

I like to watch your sky and purple, pink sunset clouds. I like to breath your strong air that smells like flowers and meat. Watching the streets busy with traffic that stops for nothing, watching the mongolian teens with their dior and high heels, watching the boys on the trampolines, what a thing i have re-discovered here... watching, recording, drawing, writing....waiting waiting waiting for what comes next. Mongolia, i love your dirty streets, russian architecture, street signs, grocery stores, strange cigarette boxes, dumplings and turkish coffee, but mongolia... why did you steal my shoes?

It is cold here and we crowd into one room to talk and make toast and drink tea and juice. I wear scarves on my head to keep my ears warm. I buy sweet rolls without knowing what they are. Allison and Stephanie and I lie on our beds in our quaint little hostel and let the pure light filter through and flood our room. I spend hours walking, looking, taking photos. and now, i buy new shoes.

They were there inside out hostel door and now they are out in the streets of Ulaan bator! Snatched, stolen, whisked away. I wonder what they are up to. luckily they have my superfeet to keep them company.

All is well in mongolia, and tomorrow... i take more pictures, i buy new shoes (yippee, a reason to shoes shop!), i drink tea and juice, i write, i draw, i pick up trash to glue in my sketchbook, i discover the city, i talk with new people, i hope i don't blow up my electronics, i read and i walk.

and after that... i start school.

epiphany

olivia: the dirt here is exquisite!

victoria: when my shoes got stolen i thought... maybe this is why tory is not so fond of visiting asia.

kim: i want to buy you everything i see. everything!

No comments: